211 Brown Street- Built on this lot in 1872 (Wing moved from Michigan Ave.)
This house has a very interesting history in that the wing section was built by Alonzo Clark on Michigan Ave. and was moved to this lot in 1872 when he built the brick stores on W. Michigan Ave. We imagine the upright two story was added at the same time. It has been known as the Lee Residence. Sophia Lee owned it the longest (from 1921-1945) and the current owners Andrew and Nicola Hall found a box with her name on it in the residence. The Woodward History says that the wing part of Mrs. Lee’s home was moved from the Theatre lot (132 W. Michigan) and the upright was added for the Lee residence. Other owners were: George Scrivens & wife Jenny (1872-1881; Elijah Slinger & wife (1881-1889?); Solomon Parker & family ( 1890-1903); Thomas H. Biggins & wife Mary A. & family (1903-1913?); Margaret H. Hively (1913?-1921); Sophia Lee & family ( 1921-1945); Francis Roe( 1945); Bessie & George Dixon (1945-1958); Earl & Gladys June( 1958-1962); Ernest L. Groeb & Mary Hull (1962?-1976); Phillip & Lee Groeb (1976-2002); Andrew & Nicola Hall( 2002-present/2014). Front and back porches were enclosed by the Halls.
201 E. Michigan Ave- Buit in1892
This Victorians style home was built in 1892 by George W. & Alice Freese, who with his father E.W. Freese owned a business called Freese & Sons-Dry Goods. Tax records show that Alice still had the home in 1942. Te next owners were: Frank Wilson, C.H. Johnson (1946-1950o)Donald Cutler, Percy 7 Martha VanTuyle (1956-1959); David & Barbara Van Tuyle (1959-1963); Richard Steudel, Wm M. Kroger, Jr. (1967-1972); John & Laura Navrock, Michael & Norma Marsh (1976-1997) and current owner, Jerry Reiser. The VanTuyle family owned banks in Clinton from the late 19th century into the late 20th century. Features inside this home include an original built in cupboard between the dining room and living room. Jerry Reiser keeps his mother’s dishes in this cupboard. This home has a decorative oak front staircase and a second upstairs stairway from the kitchen. This home was operated as a bed and breakfast from 199802003, adding four bathrooms. The house’s footprint is original.
205 Washington-Built c 1840
This Greek Revival home was built c. 1840. The returns on the sides of the home indicate the Greek Revival style. The front porch appears to be of a later style. Roswell Belding purchased this land from Alpheus Kies in Nov. of 1837. When was the house built? The 1840 Census shows Belding listed close to others we know lived on Washington St., so the home may well have been built by 1840. In the 1853 Tax records, Seth Case owns what s described as a house, horse barn & lots and it was valued at $450. According to the Census he still lives here in 1860, but has moved to Illinois with his daughter Mary by 1870. The next owners according to the Abstract were: Laura VanDeMark (1872-1889); Stroud F. Marsteller (1889-1893); William & Anna Dewey (1893-1898); Abner B. Ward (1898-1905); Sylvanus Howell (1905-1914); Melville & Ellen Hotrum (1915-1932); Dayton & Hazel Sell (1933-1980?). Hazel Sell was the daughter of the Hotrums and a prolific writer of poetry. She also published a book about the Bible for teenagers. “I’ll See You Later”. Dayton Sell was a farmer and moved to Clinton in 1925, working at Quigley’s Grocery & managing the Clinton A & P. Bonnie Peters purchased the home from the Doutres in c. 1988. The back of the house is an addition.
301 Division- Built c 1850
According to the Abstract, Hilinda Doty wife of Zebulon purchased Lot 9 in Clark’s Plat in 1839 for $100. In 1850 they sold it to John Hess for $500. In 1853 Tax Records show John Hess as the owner and he owns it until 1860. Following are some of the names on the Abstract in order from 1860-1879: George Unterkircher & wife Mary, Susanna English, Moses Bartlett, Anna Eccles * Sara Stevens; Eliza Jane Godwin & husband Seth W.; & Harriet Frary. In 1879 John Kimball, father of Leander W. Kimball, well known banker in Clinton bought the house and it was sold to Adelade Ogden in 1884, she & husband Ephraim had the home until 1919. In 1919 J.W. Wellwood & wife Martha had the home until 1925 when Sam K. Englehart purchased it. Sam was a foreman at the Clinton Woolen Mill. There is a mystery because according to Frank Woodward History, Mrs. Kimball built the home. (p. 31) Could this be the second house on the lot? In 1960 this house went from Ralph Englehart, Sam’s son to William & Jennifer Burmeister. In 1997 James & Shelia Rapa bought the home and it is taxed as lot 10/9.
319 Clark St.- Built c. 1844
The land this house was built on was a part of the original grant by the US to John Tyrrell in 1825. John Clark bought a large part of this parcel for $4500 and plated the land in the Village. In 1844 John Clark & wife Sarah J sold lot 62, Clark’s Addition to Mary Ann Muir, Edward F. Muir, Amanda A. Muir et al. The Muir Family owned it until 1916. Mary Ann Muir married Hubbel Smith and together they owned and ran the Old Stage House called Smith’s Tavern and the Union Hotel that is now in Greenfield Village.
Charles F. Clark and family owned the house from 1916 until 1945. In 1946, Robert E. Decker & wife Irene deeded it to John B. Fox & wife Jean for $1. In April of 1947, Fox deeded the house to Paul M. Hoyt for a consideration of $1 and other valuable considerations. Paul Hoyt was co-owner of Atlas Milling Companywhich had been in the family s since 1924. The Hoyt family owned the mill until 1955. In 1978, as a part of the Estate of Charlotte Pauline Hoyt, the house was deeded to Douglas G. Duke & Janice, wife for $45,000. The owners since then have been James W. Daly & Anne Marie Daly, Timothy J. McGuigan & Theresa, Tracy Gross & Rodrick T. Guth and William & Tamara Click in 2004. Bill & Tamara added a new barn/workshop and started work on restoring the house. The present owner is Mike Satlowski and he has completed major updates to the property. The house looks Victorian, which is probably an update, and ihas 10 foot ceilings and a lovely bay window.
323 W. Franklin St.-Built c. 1899
This is the first cement block house built in Clinton. It is in the Vernacular style with Italianate features.The builder was Robert Redick who did much sidewalk and other masonry work in Clinton in the early 1900s. Unusual is the sunburst design in the gable on the W. Franklin Street side. There was an earlier house on this lot onwed by James McDonald. In 1898 Robert Redick and his wife Emma Ward Redick bought the property on a tax sale. Between 1899-1901, Redick tore down the exsisting house and built the cement brlck house that stands today. In 1936 the property was sold to Melvin Pardee. In 1954 when Pardee died, the lots became the property of his daughter Jane Pardee Rudel. In 1963 this house, which was on lot 15, was sold to Marilyn Vogel. Marilyn married Henry Louwerens and they retained ownership until the house was sold to David Pray in 1976. In 1978 the property was sold to Ellen Van Dyke. The current owners since 1986 are Bob & Linda Riddle. They enclosed the back porch in 2003 and the front porch in May of 2005.